IXR's mission is to help lower the barriers to invention, creativity, and innovation - by providing access to resources, equipment, and community - that an individual "maker" may not have otherwise.
Some of the things we're planning on/would like to see in our Hackerspace:
• Electronics and Computing Lab
Analog and Digital Electronics
Audio circuits, Amplifiers
PCB Etching, SMD Reflow Soldering
Microcontrollers-Arduino (Amtel AVR/ATMega), PIC, Parallax
Programming/Software Development/Web Design
• Woodworking Shop
• Metalworking Shop
• Plastics, Molding/Forming, Silicon
• Flying Machines!
• Home Automation/X10
• Fabrication (3D Printer, CNC machining)
• Hadron Collider*
• Physical Security Lab/Locksmithing
• Crafts and Arts Shop
• Fire ze Laser!
• MIDI/Electronic Music Lab
• and all manner of DIY, invention, crafting, collaborating and making!
In the next few weeks I hope we can get a few meetings/get togethers going, take stock of what we have available at InfoAge currently, get to know everyone's interests, and get some projects going. And, to *spread the word*!
For inspiration, I encourage everyone to start looking around at what other hackerspaces are doing. Check out Hackerspaces.org, and look at some of the established spaces, like:
• NYCResistor.com (NYC)
• FUBARlabs.com (NJ)
• TheHacktory.org (Philly)
• Hive76.org (Philly)
• HacDC.org (DC)
Also there are some fabulous maker sites out there. I will be posting a links
page soon, but to start off, be sure to check out:
• MAKEzine.com - MAKE Magazine
• adafruit.com - ADAFruit Industries. There storefront sells lots of great kits, but everything they do is "open source hardware", everything is published on their site. There's great tutorials, great videos, and be sure to check out their archive of their weekly show "Ask an Engineer" (under forums, also at vimeo.com/adafruit )
• Instructables.com - All kinds of DIY projects, both tech and general.
• DIYDrones.com - Make your own self-piloting (autonomous) model aircraft and flying machines!
Again, welcome all, and I look forward to meeting you all and making awesome stuff!
*Just kidding! (Or am I?)